Monday, May 01, 2006

Summer job

It has been too long since I have posted on the blog - I suppose school and work took over my last semester.
I had a discussion with Wendy on one of the last days of school, both worried about finishing our second year without the opportunity to work as an intern over the summer.
I have just learned I will be working almost full time for the local paper YOur Local Journal (the same I've been working for part time for 1 1/2 years). I'm extremely happy about this.
It may not be a large scale national paper, but I am learning the basic skills in almost every aspect of the newspaper and that small news is sometimes interesting news.
I get to take pictures, I've started a question of the week section (begins this week!), got to know the mayors and councillors of the three adjacent towns, copy edit, try to juggle some balance between advertising in the paper and editorial content.
Some may dismiss small local newspapers (as one of my professors this semester has incessantly reminded me that he believes there is nothing good it them), but I believe they are important for smaller issues, closer to home to come out into the public. For example, the possible opening of a Wal-Mart in Montreal is causing outroar - yet no one except the local papers mentionned Vaudreuil-Dorion is getting its new box store.
I am loving my job as a small paper reporter, and I think this is my hands-on experience for a possibly bigger job...hopefully next summer...anyone out there knows how to get into the bigger newspapers, into the TV and radio stations?

And as a lastly don't forget to visit us on the web - yes, it's brand new, not yet perfect, but worth a look - www.yourlocaljournal.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home