Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Ten deadly sins of interviewing

Things to avoid if you want to be a good, efficient, fair, and ethical interviewer, according to one of our instructors.


10. Closed-ended question

9. Complex/complicated rambling question

8. Hyperbole

7. Using a trigger word (that sours the mood and causes the subject to clam up)

6. Big presupposition (that can put the subject on the defensive)

5. Comments at the end of a question

4. Leading questions (i.e. do you think..., would you say..., etc.)

3. Overloaded question

2. Double-barrelled question

1. The non-question (i.e. just saying key words in a dramatic fashion so cameras can capture reaction of the subject)


(I'm not exactly sure that all can be avoided all the time)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sikander said...

lol

Actually, no. Thankfully, I haven't had a bad interview yet. Not one I can think of anyway.

I just put it up 'cause it sounded like we (the class) had been given some words of wisdom, so I figured I'd share it with everyone.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home