Saturday, December 17, 2005

Hated journalists

A friend just made the following comment:

There are those reporters who are real journalists ... but then there are those who open up blogs and websites and portray themselves as real journalists and make up lies right and left....You can tell by the way they report/write that they are fake...highly opinionated people....It drives me crazy, especially when people site their articles as proof or whatever.


I guess he hasn't seen the POD yet.

Although we have a blog, the day when we start making up lies will never arrive.

I don't believe a real journalist has to portray him or herself as a 'real' journalist. A real journalist should be recognizable by his or her work.

If anyone actually starts worrying about looking like a real journalist...well, then that isn't all that real, is it?

In any case, I shouldn't ever have to worry about being seen as a real journalist. Because, it's not about me. It's about the stories I tell.

5 Comments:

Blogger Melanie Holubowski said...

First thing first. I am a journalist. I write for this blog. I do not lie. I have opinions.
I believe being truthful and checking facts is of utmost importance for a journalist. It does not mean that I am opinionated that I cannot be a 'real' journalist.
A good journalist will keep his/her opinions in an editorial - not an article.

I invite this person who has so little faith in journalists to read some of the articles Sikander, Sandra, D'arcy or I have written. I can assure you we take this profession extremely seriously.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Melanie Holubowski said...

First thing first. I am a journalist. I write for this blog. I do not lie. I have opinions.
I believe being truthful and checking facts is of utmost importance for a journalist. It does not mean that I am opinionated that I cannot be a 'real' journalist.

I would like to know what people want journalists to do so we can be trusted by the public.
A good journalist will keep his/her opinions in an editorial - not an article.

I invite this person who has so little faith in journalists to read some of the articles Sikander, Sandra, D'arcy or I have written. I can assure you we take this profession extremely seriously.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Darcy O'Brien said...

The dull and ignorant - they too have their story.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Darcy O'Brien said...

Mel,once again - well said.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Darcy O'Brien said...

As a rule, I never get information from only one source. That goes for my own personal use. If I'm doing a story that is interesting, has relevance to the public at large, or to a minority, then I'm doing it. A story should have balance, that should go without saying, but if anyone refuses to make their voice known, then that is their choice. The story goes with the facts that are available at the time. Simple as that, and no apologies offered.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home