Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Early Bird Doesn't Get The Worm

I couldn't believe my good fortune, I took the 07:15 commuter train - and got a seat!?
Holy cow, that never happens. My station is almost dead center on the line, so during
rush hours - fuggettaboutit! I'm usually crammed up against people that don't cover their
mouths when the cough, and more often than not, facing someone who considers daily oral
hygene an option. Yuk!

I arrive downtown and almost immediately get a bus that takes me to the campus shuttle bus.
Second bit of luck to go my way today.

The morning was a tad chilly, so I grabbed a large mochachino (chocolate/coffee) at the Second Cup near the downtown campus, and walked back to wait for the shuttle.

The shuttle to the west-end campus arrives, and within two-shakes-of-a-lambs-tail, whiskes myself and three other students westward. Wow - leg room galore.
I'm really striking it rich. Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket?

We arrive at the west-end campus at 08:34, and I'm pleased because I have plenty of time to
grab a bite before my 09:15 class. Students are milling about. Milling about?! It's -9 celsius!

Anyways, I'm searching for a coffee and a danish. No luck this time, as not one on the campus'
food kiosques is open. Not even the cafeteria.

I drop off my bag and gear in my locker, and go check out the lab where I'll be taking Advanced Desktop Publishing. I select a work station and cop a squat. After 15 minutes of checking various news sites, I head downstairs to the bookstore to pick-up this semesters books.
There are already 8 people ahead of me, but it's no problemo because they open the store as
I arrive. Only one book in, oh well, at least I have first choice.

I go back to the class and do some more web surfing.

Now it's 09:22 when I get a funny feeling. Did they move the class? Did the prof call the school
from Cuba and inform them that he missed his plane?

I go into the journalism offices to see whats what;

"Happy New Year!" I say smiling broadly to the woman who is passing into the inner offices.
She returns my salutation pleasantly.

"Uh..I was wondering if my class has been cancelled?"

"No", she replies, "The university is open today, but classes start tomorrow."

Jaw drop.

"You're just an eager beaver aren't you?", she says with just the hint of stiffling laughter.

Heat rising in cheeks.

Feeling stupid.

Four extra hours of sleep lost.....forever lost.

"I guess I am."

Sometimes the early bird is an idiot.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sikander said...

LOL

As I'm reading your post, I'm thinking, "why in the world was Darcy doing all that today??"

:) See ya tomorrow bud.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute, real cute. sounds like something you'd do. ;)

here, i'm going to link to you guys from my blog - found yours through laurie's.

thefistofgod.gnn.tv is mine.

keep blogging.

M

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!! That's really funny. But do you have this class everyday as opposed to a specified day of the week? Anyway, stumbled on this site after trying to find out the ingredients of a Mochachino. I know I am late, it's August after all. I've recently begun to restrict certain things in my diet, Mochachino being a vice that I now consume with Soy milk, hold the whipped cream (my other vice is my boyfriend. He goes by several names, most notably Smirnoff, Grey Goose and Adbsolute), I digress. Oh and I happen to be a tv producer in the West Indies.

Cheers!

LC

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home